Diversity and Inclusion @VLDB
The Data Management community is committed to the promotion of diversity and inclusion in all aspects of our professional activities. We celebrate the diversity in our community and welcome everyone regardless of age, gender identity, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic background, country of origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical ability, political views, education, and work experience.
Our initiative coordinates diversity and inclusion efforts across the data management community and includes the Diversity and Inclusion Chairs of SIGMOD, VLDB, SoCC, and ICDE.
Sihem Amer-Yahia, CNRS, University Grenoble Alpes (coordinator)
Juliana Freire, NYU
Arun Kumar, UCSD
Avrilia Floratou, Microsoft
Alexandra Meliou, University of Massachusetts
Fatma Ozcan, Google
- Wang-Chiew Tan, Megagon Lab
- Mehui Zhang, Beijing Institute of Technology
- Neeraja Yadwakar, Stanford
- Make diversity and inclusion a first class citizen in our conferences. Establish a feedback loop to better understand our standing with respect to all underrepresented groups.
- Ultimately, guide our community to adopt a more inclusive mindset in general toward different individuals regardless of their age, gender, gender identity, race, cultural background, religion, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, parental and marital status, etc.
- Discourage discriminatory behavior during events that cause certain groups to feel unwelcome.
- This initiative is in collaboration with the VLDB DBCares (and SIGMOD DBCares) team following the ACM Policy Against Harassment and ACM processes for Reporting Unacceptable Behavior.
We welcome suggestions for events, formats, changes in procedures, outreach and other activities, that promote our goals in enhancing diversity, amplifying underrepresented voices, and creating a more inclusive community.